Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sadhana Forest with pictures!!

Ahhhh.... we relax having a chai from the local 'chai guy' ten minutes by scooter from Sadhanna forest. As well as chai, we buy naughty things like biscuites and cola, that we aren't allowed to eat at the community. This is Joseph from France and Johannes.

Jack relaxing in the main hut. This is where we all eat together, decide on jobs, give announcements and have meetings or dance parties together even! Jack is one of the many who have arrived since we have been here. There seems to be a daily influx of keen volunteers who have heard about this place through a friend, passing traveller or planned thier trip from back home...


Discussions in the kitchen after cooking duties are all done.




This is the mud pool where we cool off after a hot day of working. It looks muddy (and is) but is clean enough and the mud feels good on the skin and in the hair. In fact some use this as their daily shower. (I think it's filled up quite a bit more since I took this photo a week and a half ago. We had a few days of rain last week in short durations that pelted down)



Sadhana forest long-stay volunteers get their own huts to provide more privacy, The main dorm is like this only much larger. People sleep on ground level and above, too.




4 comments:

  1. many thanks for the pics my great and weary travellers! it sure looks hot - but by now you have acclimatised and love every minute of it? Am damn sure that India's not for the faint-hearted,which neither of you are.I am quite pleased that we didn't arrange to meet up in june as this leg of mine is taking quite a long time to improve. Today i took my first walk up the track at dunback without a crutch, not to bad, but I'd be a terrible moaner in 40degrees plus.Are you meeting many of the locals in the forest? Lots of love, Annie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo, wie gehts,
    lange nichts mehr gehoert, ich hoffe alles ist OK? Sophia bereitet sich langsam auf die Reise vor.
    Liebe Gruesse, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Miriam and Jo,
    have just read all your postings of the last 2 or so weeks. I like your hippie-style village living though the mud pool shower doesn't look too inviting to me... any blood suckers in the water??? I like your confession about your western addictions, Jo!! :) Not sick of the vegan food yet?? When you come home I'll fry you a big New York cut steak (hehehe).

    Love, Elli-Ma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Annie,

    I am quite dissappointed because I wrote you a long and detailed response and then somthing went wrong with the computer and it got deleted! Anyhow, I wanted to tell you about the people at Sadhana and how there are lots of travellers- some from India, but most from other countries, and there are also some people who work or live at Sadhana who are from the local villages right outside the forest. I didn't speak with them enough to know, but I did wonder how it must feel to have this hippy community amongst the local ways of living and what people must think of the whole thing.
    Congratualtions on your latest accomplishment! And by now you will probably have made more.
    Keep up the good work and speak soon. Lots of love,
    XX
    Miriam

    ReplyDelete