Miriam and I are back together in Chiang Mai after I came back from Tacomepai on Monday. It's great to have lots of things to share again after doing our own thing for the last two weeks...
I took a lot of photos with my own camera but for some reason my memory cards are playing up and pretend there is nothing on them. Seems like I have to do some serious data recovery when I can get the chance. Meanwhile I have a few photo impressions of my time in Tacomepai courtesy of Mansaku, Gurushabd and Sarah, cheers guys! (P.s. If you don't want these photos on the web let me know...)
For those who I haven't told; I spent the last two weeks at Tacomepai doing a Permaculture Design Certificate course (yep, I'm qualified now ;) ) with a bunch of great people from all around the world. Our course teachers included Stephen and Damien from Australia and Sandot, the owner of Tacomepai, as well as some other Thai guys who's names I can't remember (I won't forget your faces ;) ). All in all everyone had something to teach everyone else and it was a thoroughly enjoyable learning experience!
A brief intro to Tacomepai: Sandot took over this land 20 years ago from his grandfather and decided to plant the 5 acres with a mono-crop of Mangoes. After 5 years of this he realized he wasn't enjoying the stress and fluctuating mango prices (also with relying on a single crop for income) and decided to slowly reforest the property and take it a little more easy. Today, the farm is run in Sandot's own unique way often allowing nature to run it's course. Chickens and ducks roam free throughout the property, fertilizing and scratching the soil and two pigs (Crispy & Bacon) take care of excess leftovers. The rice paddies supply enough for Sandot's family and other guests who come to learn and the mango trees and other fruit trees provide yummy snacks. It's not exactly self sufficient but rather an experimental playground for people from all around to come and learn how to grow things in a different way. Sandot's mission is to teach other farmers and foreigners who come to learn, how to make better use of their land and to avoid relying heavily on outside inputs. He creates a calm and tolerant atmosphere in which it is easy to be inspired to learn!
New land, a separate piece of land nearby, at the edge of the national park, has been taken over by Sandot and other sponsors. Originally it was natural forest but much like many other areas around Pai it was illegally cut down and turned into farm land. After the second or third crops failed on damaged soil the land was sold cheaply and it is now to be a model for reforestation using permaculture ideas.
 |
| Our first bamboo craft project; cut a bamboo walking stick ;) We then proceeded to stomp the plants that were coming through back into the rice paddy, to be decomposed. Never a wasted minute around here :) |
 |
| This is Shen's hut (blue shirt), Shen is a bubbly malaysian girl full of gardening knowledge who is currently staying longterm at Tacomepai. Here we were digging the foundations for a new outdoor kitchen to be attached to the house. |
 |
| Rice planting the easy way; grow rice seedlings in nursery trays with a clump of clay in the bottom and throw onto the field. It's like playing darts! |
 |
| Classroom Tacomepai style; here at Mansaku's house at the new land. |
 |
| New land as seen from the tree line |

|
Our first earthworks project; we had to dam a small tributary stream on the new land property. Note for next
time; don't fill sandbags with wet mud ;) |
 |
| Team " Angola Dam" (named after the rice sack) |
 |
| The finished dam after the first decent rainfall. There was a lot of erosion coming off the corn and soy bean fields which will probably fill up the dam in a very short time, however the water will still stay for longer underneath. |
 |
| One afternoon at the new land, we created two new rice paddies and planted them. Even the traditional method is fun! Tadam and I enjoying a breather. |
No comments:
Post a Comment